Do you want to make new friends, meet new people, explore relationships and have some fun doing these things? Then Social Impact is for you.
Social Impact is all about developing the social skills to build and maintain personal relationships.
- Learn how to interact and be assertive, you build your emotional independence and explore how relationships work.
- Learn about the risks and laws of unsafe sex and sexual abuse.
- Get out and about in the community and socialise in fun places.
- Have fun, learn about relationships and how they work.
- Learn about yourself and the benefits of being healthy and active can have for you.
Please note: Participants must be able to get to and from training sessions and social events independently.
Social Impact is all about learning and practising new skills. It works like this. We run 8 training sessions, one each month from March through to October.
Each training session has a different theme:
- Conversations and Communication
- Relationships and Friendships
- Safe Sex
- Social Media Awareness and Sexting
- Healthy Mind and Healthy Body
Additional Social Outings will be offered throughout the year to provide ‘safe’ opportunities to try out your new skills. The emphasis is on learning, growing, becoming more aware and enjoying time with other people.Then Social Impact is for you.
We have three Social Events opportunities during the year which is a safe, secure place in the community to 'test out' your learnt skills. This gives you the opportunity to socialise with a bunch of people who you have trained with and may want to get to know better.
The emphasis is on learning, growing, becoming more aware and chilling back with groovy peers who are much like you.
We try to group the training sessions, where possible, to your age group- depending on who enrols.
- People aged 16 - 64 years
- People with an intellectual disability
- Must be able to get to and from Social Impact program commitments without Impact support
Where: Social Impact is offered in Oakleigh and if there is enough identified demand the program will also be offered in the Western Suburbs and Eastern Suburbs (Williamstown and Ringwood)
- Annual program cost is $550 (GST inclusive)
- Transport and drinks at social events and the end of year Gala night are not included in the program fee.
- Social Impact program fees are non refundable and must be made in full prior to 1st February of the program year.
When: The program will run from March through October, with the final celebration event taking place nearer the end of the year.
Specific venues, training and events times are to be confirmed once all enrolments are received.
For all enquiries please call the Services Manager on 9568 6144.
Social Impact Learning Sessions 2013
Social Impact Application Form 2013
Social Impact - Participant Quotes
- 'Sometimes my words get tangled up in my mouth and it sometimes comes out wrong. Social Impact is giving me confidence to speak to people.'
- 'Nice course. Never done anything like it. It's fun!'
- 'My Mother was worried when I first started coming to Social Impact and now she is happy.'
- I am getting ready to take him out on a date.'
- 'I'll be back next year!'
- 'All I want is to get a job. Get paid. Have lots of money. Buy a house. Have a beautiful good looking girlfriend and have lots of pets.'
- 'I'm learning how to cope in friendships.'
- 'I have seen a lot of relationships that lasted and collapsed, and it is good to come to Social Impact and learn about what a good relationship looks like.'
- 'I want to learn more about what to do on a first date.'
- 'Although I have achieved a lot of personal growth and peace within myself. I am still working towards living independently and getting paid work...and a little bit of love wouldn't hurt either.'
- 'I would like to have love and a boy friend.'
- Social Impact is fun! A spade is a spade is a spade and sometimes used as a shovel.'
- 'I trust the people here.'
- 'It's a great program to learn new personal skills.'
- 'I have come to Social Impact to meet new people and learn how to make and keep friends.'
- 'At Social Impact, I want to make friends, learn how to get along with everyone and how to talk to people properly.'
- 'I'm having fun here and laughing a lot. The people here are respectful and I feel safe sharing my feelings. The people here are trustworthy.
- 'I came to Social Impact to learn better social skills, make new friends and find a partner.'
- 'I want to get away from my family because I want to live independently and find a job.'
- 'I am learning lots at Social Impact.'
- 'Sometimes saying 'NO' makes me feel like I am being nasty. But Social Impact is helping me to say 'NO' and stop being railroaded into situations.'
- 'I enjoy Social Impact. I'm coming back next year!'
- 'It's the best thing. Social Impact has changed my life.'
- 'I really enjoy it. But we need something in the Northern suburbs like Social Impact.'
- 'I practice what I learnt at Social Impact home and when I go out for dinner with my friends.'
- Social Impact is pretty helpful and really nice. I feel comfortable there.'
- 'I wanna meet someone nice. It's too dangerous on the internet. Social Impact is the safest place.'
- 'Social Impact is helping me with my dream. To meet new people, have a boyfriend - a stable relationship where I can settle down and have my own place to live independently.'
- 'Speed dating was good. We should do that again!'
- 'At Social Impact we have fun learning about different sorts of relationships and how to make friends.'
- 'I felt nervous when I first started going to Social Impact. As I kept going I got more confident and now I look forward to making new friends.'
- 'I am more confident since going to Social Impact. It has improved my social skills and I'm learning how to have a conversation with new people and it is getting easier to talk about different things, because when I started Social Impact I was a shy person.'
- 'Coming to Social Impact has made my life happier. It's great to meet new people where I feel safer than going to a nightclub - you have to be careful who you meet and I feel safe at Social Impact.'
- 'I'm enjoying Social Impact and would like it to continue.'
- 'Great training. I think it was so important what was said about relationships and how 2 handle it when you like someone more than they like u - or vice versa. Happens to me all the time - all the good guys are taken. I've fallen for 1 yet again - just shoot me!'
|Impact Support Services
|Impact works in partnership with people living with a disability to provide them with opportunities to participate in community life, to assist them make informed choices and have the best quality of life they can.